Book a Table at Pizzeria Oregano

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Italian Words of Wooing

So, that’s Valentine’s Day well and truly done for another year, how did we all do? If you followed my advice from last week’s post, and had a cosy night in, you probably had a fabulous time. But, for those of you who didn’t (or for those who did SO well they need to top it next year) I have just the thing to make your next romantic day a success.


                There can be very little dispute over Italian being the language of love, it’s a romance language for goodness’ sake! It’s beautiful, it’s sexy, it’s...foreign.  In any case, if you want to sweep your date off their feet (or merely baffle them slightly) this is the way to do it. We’ve compiled a list of handy phrases to meet your every loving need.


When it’s just starting out...
Ho preso una sbandata per te. (I have a crush on you.)
Il mio cuore è solo tuo / tua. (My heart is yours.)
Mi ami? (do you love me?)
Vuoi essere il mio ragazzo/la mia ragazza? ( Would you like to be my boyfriend/girlfriend?)
Abbracciami. (Hug me)
Ti voglio baciare. (I want to kiss you.)


When you want to explain how you feel...
Sei l'uomo / la donna dei miei sogni! (You're the man / woman of my dreams!)
Sei il sole della mia vita. (You are the sunshine of my life.)
Sei l’amore della mia vita. (You are the love of my life)
Sei tutto cio' di cui ho bisogno (you're everything I need)


When it’s all going well...
Amore mio (my love)
Un million di baci (A million kisses)
Baciami. (Kiss me)
Tesoro mio (my treasure)
Sei un dono (you are a gift)
Sei stupenda (You’re fantastic)
Mi rendi felice. (you make me happy)
Come sei bella/o (How beautiful you are.)


When it’s getting a little intense...
Per sempre tua/insieme (forever yours/together)
Ti penso sempre (I’m always thinking about you)
Sei tutto per me. (You are everything to me.)
Non posso vivere senza di te! (I can’t live without you)
Senza di te la vita è un inferno. (Without you life is hell.)


When it’s getting serious...
Sposami! (Marry me!)
Con te voglio passare la mia vita. (I want to spend my life with you.)
Con te voglio invecchiare. (I want to grow old with you.)


When “I love you” is enough...
Ti amo! (I love you!)
Ti voglio molto bene. (I love you very much.)
Sono innamorato / innamorata di te. (I'm in love with you.)
Ti amo con tutta l’anima! (I love you with all my heart)


And if the pronunciation of these sweet soundbites leaves you stumped, follow this handy pronuciation guide! And do pop in and see us any time if you feel you need the linguistic practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment